Monday, April 18, 2016

Planning for a 24-hour Read-a-thon

Okay, real talk: there's absolutely no way I'm going to be up for 24 hours, because the only thing I love more than books (and my family) is sleep. A few weeks ago, I saw a blog post about this phenomenon and decided to participate. I particularly love that there are no rules for being a part other than reading for some part of the 24 hours. That's it.

[It's nice that the plan is flexible, because I had cleared my schedule and planned to read all day, only breaking for minor things like food and personal hygiene. But now C has joined a basketball team and next Saturday will be a tournament. (They practice weekly and play in tournaments once a month or so.)

No biggie--I can still read on the drive up there and in between games as well as that evening. I won't get as many pages read, but it's really about quality and enjoyment over quantity.]

"Back up, Alison," I can hear you saying. "What exactly is this read-a-thon of which you speak?"


I'm glad you asked! According to the home page:

"For 24 hours, we read books, post to our blogs, Twitters, Tumblrs, Goodreads and MORE about our reading, and visit other readers’ homes online. We also participate in mini-challenges throughout the day. It happens twice a year, in April and in October.

It was created by the beloved Dewey (her blog is archived at the Wayback Machine). The first one was held in October 2007. Dewey died in late 2008. We’re still saddened by her absence, but the show must go on. The read-a-thon was renamed to honor its founder in 2009.

Dewey’s 24-Hour Read-a-thon is hosted by Heather and Andi of The Estella Society, with help from volunteers."


This is my first read-a-thon, and I'm very excited, especially because my 13-year-old daughter is willing to do it with me! She also loves to read, although she's all about reading one book at a time, whereas I need to have options, especially with so many hours in a row dedicated to reading. I tried to convince her to check out at least one alternative book besides her current read, but we'll see if she listens to me. She can always reread a favorite.

I have several books on my new 2016 read-a-thon list, although most of them are being requested through the library so it's not an actual pile yet. I wanted to have a variety of genres and tones. Here goes:

My Brilliant Friend by Elena Ferrante: because the rave reviews of so many readers can't be wrong. Also my first translated work to read this year.

The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson because I recently read Let Me Tell You and wanted more, and also, how have I not read this already?
 

The Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie King: this is the only one I'm not sure if I'll get in time, but I'll read it anyway because it looks like a good mystery series, and I don't have any mysteries currently in line.

Complications by Atul Gawande: because I've been a fan of his writing for a long time, and I wanted a nonfiction book that would keep me interested. His inquisitive yet scientific voice seems perfect to counteract a possible overdose of fiction.

The Complete Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi: I definitely wanted a graphic novel as a break from so many words. This one has been on my TBR for a long time.

I had My Name is Asher Lev by Chaim Potok on the list but I think I'll wait on that one. I also have Dodger by Terry Pratchett for a reread on standby.

C just started Cress by Marissa Meyer (I'm congratulating myself on introducing her to the Lunar Chronicles). She will probably read in the car and all evening, too. Love my bookish girl! 

If you want to join in, let me know and sign up at the home page or on Goodreads! There are also fun mini-challenges throughout the day, and you can sign up for people to "visit" you online and cheer you on.

No comments:

Post a Comment