Saturday, February 27, 2010

Back in the Saddle

Wow, I made it through my first week as a long-term sub. It was an adjustment to start working for pay in September, because I had been a SAHM for seven years, but when I started subbing, I took a day or two off every week and caught up on housework and errands (and naps...but don't tell anyone). Then I stepped it up to working every day I possibly could (except the snow day and of course Presidents' Day) and that was another level of multitasking. Now I'm fulfilling all the responsibilities of a classroom teacher, all day every day, and it is a lot more work than regular subbing. I am busy every minute of the day except lunch, because I use any minute of down time to grade papers, plan the next lesson, record grades, provide make-up work, answer emails people who want me to do things I have no idea how to do, go to meetings, etc. The learning curve is steep, but the good thing is that I do enjoy doing this. You would think that would be a given, but I honestly wasn't sure I would like teaching again because I had a hard time when I taught eighth grade. Now I am having more fun with the students. I still don't like having to be the Mean Teacher (some students weren't too happy when they got bad grades on homework they had neglected to do and/or did a bad job on) but I am determined to get a thicker skin and make this my profession for life.

Today was Mr. Blue's birthday party. I can hardly believe my baby boy is four years old! I don't have the pictures on the computer yet--maybe I'll get to that before Monday.

Or then again, maybe I'll just fall asleep on the couch like I did three nights this week.

Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. I can relate sooo much, of course, since I just finished my first week of full-time "mat leave" coverage as well! Whew -- it IS super tiring and time consuming! But so glad you love it like I do, that is what makes all the difference!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah! That is fantastic! I am so glad you are finding your own groove! I knew you would rock at going back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good work! My mom and brother are (or were, in my mom's case) and it's the HARDEST, most all-absorbing job. But it sounds like you're settling in beautifully.

    ReplyDelete