Friday, August 10, 2007

A New, Healthier Me

So: Operation Slim-Down. First, it’s not my doctor’s fault. He didn’t say anything even though he’s seen me every three months for my postpartum depression and anxiety, when I weighed less than I do now. I’m not overweight, so he really couldn’t say that; my BMI is right smack in the middle of the healthy range for my weight. I am still a small woman, just not as small as I was just a few months ago.

I am only planning to lose 7-10 pounds, and then my clothes won’t be tight. I refuse to buy new clothes. The clothes I have are cute and I like them. Which is more than I can say for my current physical state, which could be termed Untoned. While I know intellectually that I’m not fat, I jiggle. Not good. I caught sight of my butt in the mirror one day when I was wearing a tank top and underwear, and I almost screamed. Aaahh! I didn’t need to see that! I put a robe on, but I don’t want to have to avoid all mirrors.

I just need to be healthier in general. Like many moms, I’d fallen into the trap of eating too many meals of chicken nuggets, pizza, and pasta. Plus, I guess I was snacking out of boredom. I stopped doing exercise videos because it’s a lot harder to do when preschool’s out and your youngest only takes one nap—so many things I’d rather be doing with that precious time, plus Miss Pink WILL NOT entertain herself when I’m working out. Walking with them isn’t much good because with her, we have to stop every 2.6 minutes to pick a flower.

So we’ve decided to join a gym that several of my friends belong to. They have good child care so I can combine working out, which is not one of my favorite activities, with being kid-free, which is a nice break. Plus, since I get bored with doing the same old thing every day, having different workout options is a good thing. My husband is planning to do the same, although he may go before work on most days (after work is possible, but not every day; it’s hard enough to get the kids in bed at a decent hour).

I’m also using www.sparkpeople.com to track my eating habits and I’m eating better. Just having to enter it all in makes me reluctant to dig into the chips. It’s very silly, in a way, to count how many Wheat Thins are in a serving, but it does make me think about my choices. Yesterday the kids had begged for a few mini marshmallows, so I gave them some and sat down with my raw cauliflower florets. Before I knew it, they wanted the cauliflower and I had to get some more out for myself. Yay for modeling healthy habits!

But I’m not gonna lie. Last night by dinnertime I was HUNGRY. I’m a little hungry now. I’d better stop thinking about it or I’ll be into the ice cream before I know it. Moderation in all things, right? If I eat well and exercise, I can still have my (occasional) cake AND my girlish figure. I certainly hope so.

Because there is no way on God’s green earth that I’m giving up all desserts. As far as I’m concerned, life just wouldn’t be worth living.

No comments:

Post a Comment