Friday, February 15, 2008

Gymboree

Last night was Miss Pink's first gymnastics class. The mother of her best friend at school and I decided to enroll our girls together so they would have a friend in the class. We got off to a rocky start because I got lost in the city I have lived in my whole life. When I ended up in a whole other town, I called my husband and the conversation sounded like this:

Me: "I'm in [nearby town 20 miles from the city] and I don't know how to get back and we're going to be LATE waaaah!"
Him: "What road are you on?"
Me: "I don't know! I thought I was on [highway] but that turned off a while back and now I don't know! I don't think it's even worth it to go now, we're going to be so late, tell me what to do!"
Him: "I CAN'T because I don't even know where you ARE!"
Me: "Stop making me feel worse!"
Happy Valentine's Day, honey. Aren't you glad you married me?

Anyway, we made it and got to attend half the class, which was totally worth it because Miss Pink LOVED it. Her friend was reluctant to do some of the activities (which is normal for her, she's slow to warm up to most activities, her mom said) but Miss P just jumped up there and gave everything a go like she'd been doing it for years. My heart swelled with pride even while I was encouraging the other mom by bragging on her daughter's efforts (I could tell my friend was a little worried.) Secretly I was thinking, "My kid looks like a NATURAL!"

Really, I don't know why I'd be proud of Miss P for something that comes naturally to her. It's just her nature to enter new situations without needing support from me. I suppose it has something to do with the fact that I am not like that--I would have been her friend, scared to try in case I didn't do well or fell or something. I could always think of numerous reasons not to risk. So I can't take any kind of credit for my oldest child's confidence (except maybe I can, because I've been careful to encourage her rather than implant nervousness in her mind by constantly urging her to be careful so she doesn't hurt herself, or make a mess.)

I guess I'm just happy she will have the opportunity to try things without suffering crippling anxiety about her performance. At least at this age. There's always adolescence to come.
And her friend ended up saying she loved the class, too, so all was well. We'll be back next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment