Friday, January 30, 2009

Feel-Good Story

Okay, I heard this story on the radio and I just had to post it. Please, nobody comment that it's an urban legend because I want it to be true! Warning: you may need a tissue for this one!

Kurtis the stock boy was in the back of the store when he heard a request for carryout from the checkout stand. He decided to answer the call to get some fresh air.

When he reached the front he couldn't help noticing that the new checkout girl was beautiful. And she looked like an older woman--25 or 26 to his 22. But that didn't stop him. He noticed that her name was Brenda. After work, he offered to drive her home. He seemed harmless enough, so she accepted. After they talked on the way to her house, he asked her out. She replied that it was not possible because she had two children and couldn't afford a babysitter.

Kurtis said, "I'll pay for the babysitter." She protested, but he insisted that if that was the only reason she wouldn't go out with him, he would gladly pay. Finally she agreed.

On Saturday night, Brenda met Kurtis at the door. She apologized, but said they wouldn't be able to go because the sitter had canceled. He said, "Well, let's just take the kids with us."

No, Brenda said; it wouldn't be a problem for her daughter, but her son was in a wheelchair.

"I still don't see why we can't take them," Kurtis said.

Brenda was amazed. She expected every man to run from a single mom with two kids, one with disabilities. Just like her ex-husband had.

They took the kids out to dinner and to the movies. Whenever Brenda's son needed anything, Kurtis was right there, including picking the boy up and carrying him to the bathroom. By the end of the evening, Brenda knew this was the man she wanted to spend the rest of her life with.

A year later, they were married. Eventually they added five more kids to their family.

And what happened to Brenda the checkout girl and Kurtis the stock boy? Well, on Sunday Kurt Warner will be playing in the Super Bowl for the Arizona Cardinals. And his family will be cheering for a real hero--the guy who, in the words of a country song, is a dad "that he didn't have to be."

Sniff. I'm getting verklempt. Talk amongst yourselves! I think this means I'm cheering for the Cardinals.

Photobucket

11 comments:

  1. Well.. I just had to check it out on Snopes, and you'll be happy to know that it's very very very very TRUE!!!

    He is a CLASS act.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, true... we heard it on the way to work earlier this week, and as soon as story began, my NFL-buff Hubs told me it was Kurt Warner. (Apparently football guys keep up with these things...?!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet beautiful story! You have made my day. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I am so happy it is true. What a lovely sweet story, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. TRUE! It's TRUE! My dad sent this one to me a few weeks ago...

    I love happy endings!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely story! And stories like this are all around us.

    An elderly lady at our church told of the shame of being an unwed teenage mother back when it was very scandalous. The father of the child was not supportive, and left her. The baby girl was adopted.

    Years later when she met a lovely Christian man who wanted to marry her, she felt she needed to tell him of this before their relationship got more serious.

    The first thing he said was, "How can we get her back?"

    ReplyDelete
  7. cool!!! I would love to meet such a man in person!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yes, this is not the first time I've heard this true love story! Thanks for telling it again!
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  9. I did not know that about him. What a great and classy gentleman. I wish they won. I was rooting for the Cards.

    ReplyDelete