I think this may be the quickest I've ever put photos up after a holiday! I am becoming a real blogger, slowly but surely. I've heard that to make your blog appeal to more people, you need a lot of pictures. I guess I need to work on that. I'm not a gifted photographer like the Pioneer Woman or Dooce.
We had a fun time. On Thursday we (and by "we" I mean "Justin") carved a pumpkin. It was the first time we've done this as a family. How lazy AM I? I mean, Miss Pink is almost six! But they really enjoyed it more now that they're old enough to participate. Well, actually Mr. Blue didn't want to touch the pumpkin goop. But he liked looking at the pumpkin. And Miss Pink got in there and scraped all the gunk out.
Miss Pink chose the design, opting for a classic jack'o'lantern face, which I'm sure her father was grateful for. The candle inside was vanilla scented, so when I went out last night to blow it out after two hours of being lit, the pumpkin kind of smelled like pumpkin pie.
As I predicted, Mr. Blue refused to wear his puppy costume. Fortunately, I had bought the suit for $6 at the thrift store, so I wasn't too upset that he didn't wear it. Being a mean mom, I did wrangle him into it for some pictures. He didn't scream, but since he wasn't happy, this picture is as good as it got.
He ended up wearing a football jersey and some camo pants. Justin said he was going as a redneck. If I'd had something to black his tooth out, I would have. But we don't own a John Deere hat or a miniature can of Skoal, so it wouldn't have been authentic.
After the kids and Justin came home with their haul (I stayed home to hand out candy and watch What Not to Wear, in order to look at pretty clothes I won't be able to squeeze into if I keep eating the candy) I let them eat their fill--or at least I was going to. Miss Pink wisely stopped when her stomach started feeling a little weird. It turns out two year olds won't stop on their own, so because I didn't want to clean up vomit at 2 a.m., I took his candy away and then they actually went to sleep in spite of all the sugar in their systems.
It was a happy Halloween for all!
*Also, thanks to Blog Antagonist for setting me straight about the Pixie stick poisonings that I mentioned in yesterday's post. Here's a link to the sad but true story of the man who poisoned his son. I really shouldn't just spout off the top of my head like that without checking my facts--although as the article said, there have been cases of foreign objects in Halloween treats, the incidents are few and far between in comparison with the fear of them. Still, I can see why only a few years later my mom wanted to err on the side of caution. However, Miss Pink loves Pixie sticks and I let her eat some last night. The only ill effects were the expected hyperactivity from downing pure sugar!